Sunday, April 4, 2010

Historical Flood


Being from Rhode Island, it seems like we are in our own little world...like nothing bad can ever come to us because we live in such a small state with tightly bound communities. Who would have ever thought the at we would go down in the history books?

I like right behind the Pawtuxet River...you know the one that peaked at 20 feet. Seems pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I have to say, I am extremely thankful and lucky that my house did not see any water. It felt like everyone around us was experiencing some kind of flood water; whether be a lake forming in their yards, or a swimming pool in their basements.

It was the Tuesday that the rain really began. There was no school, and people were urged to stay in their homes. I even had to miss out on work because all of the main roads were already flooding. However, it was important that I go to CVS that night to get some perscriptions. I thought it would be a pretty harmless drive considering the pharmacy is only about 5 minutes from my house. It turned into a horror show!

Cops were blocking every road possible that led me to my destination. Flood waters were filling the roads with 3 feet of water. As I finally found a road that was open and would cut through to where I needed to go, it looked from a distance as if it were free of water. I made my way about 50 feet down the road in the dark, when a rush of water appeared before me. I couldn't believe it. There was an emergency truck coming behind me, preventing me from backing up. I had no choice but to go foward.

My car pushed through the water at first like a champ. I heard the water viollently flowing under my wheels. Suddennly, I stopped. Just like that...my car did not want to push any further. I was in a panic because I thought everything in my car including my laptop and school books would get ruined. I sat there for a moment thinking of every possible thing that could happen to me at this point. But out of nowhere came a glimmer of hope...I felt my car pushing again. I actually made it through the water! It's as if my car felt my fear and trembling and pushed through for me.

For a good portion of the ride home my brakes were not working from all the water getting into them. I was scared each time I came to a traffic light or stop sign, but luckily there were no other crazy people like me going on the roads in these conditions. Needless to say, it was a scary journey, but something I probably will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment