Sunday, March 14, 2010

Changing the Ordinary into the Unordinary...

Almost everyday I make the same 10 minute trip to my boyfriend's house from my house. I see the same stores, houses, and cars each time driving through my tiny town. I can't say that I have any particular attitude or any specific thoughts. Unless of course some life altering moment has previously occurred...But with my pretty ordinary life, those moments are pretty rare.


As I drove there on this day, I noticed the entire time I was smiling. I had to laugh to myself when I caught myself with such a big grin because I wasn't sure why exactly I was so amused. I looked around my car, noticing the hawaiian lei that hung from my rearview mirrow. Any outsider driving by my car or walking by it in a parking lot would look at the lei and just think I was some girly girl using it as a cute decoration that would make my car easily recognizeable. What they don't know is that there lies a whole crazy story behind that simple piece of decor.

It was a cool night in November. My friends and I were blasting music, dancing around our house and getting ready for a fun-filled night. We got into our dressy shirts and high heeled shoes and checked eachother to make sure we were up to standard. It was a nightly routine that most people would think was a little crazy, but we couldn't go out looking sub-par to any other girls. As we grabbed our purses and got into the car, we made a pact to look out for eachother and atleast make it back to our beach house in one piece. That pact soon got shot to hell.

It felt like mere minutes that had passed at the party, but apparently it had been hours. All of us were partying a little too hard, looking like fools. We were THOSE girls...the ones we swore we would never be. We were the only ones dancing around the house, dropping our drinks on the floor, and laughing like little school girls. Still to this day I thank God that nobody was filming us that night.

It came to a point in our partying that we decided everyone at the party was lame, so we needed to leave. As we walked out the door, we got into what we thought was my car. My key wouldn't work. I was convinced it was a sign that we wren't supposed to leave that night. I have little blurbs of memories from that point, but all in all the night seemed pretty empty the next morning.

We awoke the next morning to someone tapping our shoulders, yelling at us to get out of their car. Some girl we didn't know was glaring at us with stern eyes. There was a car full of girls crowded into her car, puke on the carpet, and each of us had hawaiian leis around our necks.

As I pulled up to my boyfriends house that day, I felt so thankful that I had found someone as amazing as him to save me from more nights like that. That night probably shouldn't be as funny as it was, but on this particular day I laughed as I looked at the lei that hung in my car. I think I'll always keep it there as a memory of such a crazy night.

No comments:

Post a Comment