I had trained for months just for this exact moment in time. People knew my name and they knew my capabilities. I had no other choice but to win; that's what they expected of me. I rounded a turn, as I was forced to maneuver my steps in a zig-zag motion to get around the tree root that protruded into my path. Hundreds of people surrounded the track. I saw their lips moving, and their motions of jumping up and down led me to believe that they were acting in encouragement. My mind was in such a fog, that I couldn't even register any voices.
"Okay Kristen, 2 miles down, only 1 more to go. You can do this." I was trying to push myself, but something was holding me back. The spikes on my shoes dug deeper and deeper into the dirt with every step I took. It was like my feet were made of bricks all of a sudden. I didn't know what was happening. My vision became blurred, my breathing sounded like I had a frog in my throat, and my legs suddenly felt like jello. All of the expectations that were hanging on my shoulders, suddenly went down the toilet.

I awoke moments later to team mates, coaches, and parents surrounding me with water, wet cloths, and faces of disbelief. I guess the pressure, along with the 95 degree weather took me down. They all had this idea that I would win it for the team, but instead a moment of black out made the dream come to a crashing halt.

This was an awesome piece. Very clear sense of a place, I felt like I was there with you running. Great picture within the post itself and I also liked the color scheme. No critiques for this one at all.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with Erik, nice job on this. As he said also, the aesthetic helps to make the piece come together.
ReplyDelete